I’ve always loved following the news. For as long as I can remember, the news would be playing every morning in the kitchen while our family was having breakfast and getting ready for the day. In one of my English classes in high school, my teacher had us read the newspaper as often as we could to stay informed and also to help our writing. In addition to local, national and international news, I also try to keeps tabs on fashion industry news. This is something that I enjoy reading and learning about, and now that I am a fashion student, it is more important than ever that I stay up to date on the latest industry trends, news and updates. I do everything from follow sources on social media to subscribe to e-mail newsletters, so I figured I’d share some of my favorite sources today.
1. Fashionista // I subscribe to their daily newsletters and follow them on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I’m going to be honest, I don’t read their articles everyday, but I always skim over the headlines mentioned in the email and if I see anything interesting I either bookmark it or read it. As a college student, I don’t have time to read every article I see, but subscribing to the newsletter helps me at least stay in-the-know about the latest events.
2. Business of Fashion // Business of Fashion is my overall favorite resource for fashion news. I follow them across all social media accounts and also subscribe to their email lists. I have found that BOF has the most well-rounded content. They publish about all the current news as soon as it happens, so I am always in the know. What I love the most about BOF is their editorial section. They discuss current hot topics in the industry and write different positions on them which is a constant source of inspiration for blog posts (for me at least!). I highly recommend subscribing to BOF’s email list. They recently switched over from a completely free service to a paid service, but I believe the e-mails are still accessible without a paid membership.
3. New York Times Style Section // One of my professors from my FIT precollege courses had us read a lot of The New York Times style pieces and watch their videos, as well. Of course, NYT is where the legendary Bill Cunningham worked and published his weekly street style videos/ spreads. I particularly enjoy Vanessa Friedman’s (the editor of the Fashion & Style section) pieces because she is incredibly honest in her collection critiques and commentary about trends in the industry.
4. Man Repeller // I mention Man Repeller a lot on here, and it’s for good reason. Leandra and her team are seriously rockstars. They produce content that is incredibly relevant and timely, and they present it in such a unique way. Reading fashion news via Man Repeller is a breath of fresh air: it is not quite as serious as BoF or NYT, but all the information is still there. They also often editorialize and make their articles more of a discussion, which I love because fashion is a two way street that cannot work without the consumer participating.
5. AP Fashion // I follow AP Fashion on Twitter, and I think they’re a super easy and great resource for checking the latest news in the fashion industry. I generally don’t read the full articles/ briefs but following on Twitter is a super easy thing to do to make sure I’m always up-to-date!
What are your go-to fashion news sources? Comment below!